Be sure to subscribe, and be notified of new content, events and promotional offers.

Workers’ Compensation

If you get hurt because of work, then you likely qualify for Workers’ Compensation Benefits. Workers’ Comp Insurance provides six basic benefits: medical care, temporary disability benefits, permanent disability benefits, supplemental job displacement benefits or vocational rehabilitation and death benefits to family.

Our office provides non-invasive, drug free treatment for work related injuries. When you call our office to schedule a consultation, we will collect the information necessary to have the insurance in order before your first visit. That way, if you decide you want our help after the initial consultation, then we’ll already have what we need get you started.

Workers’ compensation is the nation’s oldest social insurance program: It was adopted in most states, including California, during the second decade of the 20th century. It is a no-fault system, meaning you don’t need to prove your injury was someone else’s fault in order to receive benefits.

The workers’ compensation system is based on a trade-off between employees and employers. Employees are entitled to receive prompt, effective medical treatment for on-the-job injuries no matter who was at fault and, in return, are prevented from suing their employers over those injuries.

The vast majority of workers’ compensation claims are resolved without any problems. However, sometimes a disagreement can arise between you and the claims administrator over issues such as whether your injury was sustained on-the-job or how much in benefits you are entitled to receive.

When a dispute like that arises, the Division of Workers’ Compensation can help resolve it through its Information and Assistance Unit, or by going before a judge at one of the division’s 24 local offices.

About the basics:

Q. What is workers’ compensation?

A. If you get hurt or sick because of work, your employer is required by law to pay for Workers’ Compensation Benefits. You could get hurt by:

One event at work, such as hurting your back in a fall, getting burned by a chemical that splashes on your skin, or getting hurt in a car accident while making deliveries.


Repeated exposures at work, such as hurting your wrist from doing the same motion over and over, or losing your hearing because of constant loud noise.

Q. What are the benefits?

A. Workers’ comp insurance provides six basic benefits:

  • Medical care: Paid for by your employer to help you recover from an injury or illness caused by work
  • Temporary disability benefits: Payments if you lose wages because your injury prevents you from doing your usual job while recovering
  • Permanent disability benefits: Payments if you don’t recover completely
  • Supplemental job displacement benefits (if your date of injury is in 2004 or later): Vouchers to help pay for retraining or skill enhancement if you don’t recover completely and don’t return to work for your employer
  • Vocational rehabilitation (if your date of injury is before 2004): Job placement counseling and possibly retraining if you are unable to return to your old job and your employer doesn’t offer other work
  • Death benefits: Payments to your spouse, children or other dependents if you die from a job injury or illness.

Attend a free seminar for injured workers at a local DWC office for a full explanation of Workers’ Comp Benefits, your rights and responsibilities.

Q. What should I do if I have a job injury?

First, report the injury to your employer by telling your supervisor right away. If your injury or illness developed over time, report it as soon as you learn or believe it was caused by your job.

Reporting promptly helps prevent problems and delays in receiving benefits, including medical care you may need. If your employer does not learn about your injury within 30 days and this prevents your employer from fully investigating the injury and how you were injured, you could lose your right to receive workers’ compensation benefits.

Next, get emergency treatment if you need it. Your employer may tell you where to go for treatment. Tell the health care provider who treats you that your injury or illness is job-related.

Then, fill out a claim form, called a DWC form 1, and give it to your employer. Your employer must give or mail you a claim form within one working day after learning about your injury or illness. If your employer doesn’t give you the claim form you can download it from the forms page of the DWC Web site.